Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Kung Fu Fighting

I think Eiston really summed up my feelings about the cultural stereotypes. As an extension of that post... want to share a short interesting note:

Frank, one of the Kenyan youths, asked me if I knew anything about HK. I told him I was born there and he started to ask me about Jackie Chan. He said if I walk around the slum with my wallet flashy around my wrist I will be the safest person of the group because people here will think that I know kung-fu.

I wonder how true that is, but I don't think I will risk trying that out. Just in case. I really don't know how to fight, haha.

On a side note, we played soccer (called football here) and ultimate with the Kenyan youths. I did not play soccer because my sprained ankle is still very weak and I did not want to have to start limping around Kibera if I get hurt again. But anyway, the people here are so nice and encouraging. When I played team sports in Canada, people get angry very easily if you cannot do things properly, but people here are so encouraging and supportive - and appreciative that you have tried. It is true teamwork and not vying to win.

I am falling in love with this place. Without lavish clothes, shampoo, conditioner... they are the happiest people I have ever seen. In the West there are depression and numerous anxiety disorders despite the fact that we are so rich (we really are). The smiles of the children here gathering around our digital cameras are the most genuine I have ever seen.


Posted by Josephine Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment