Thursday, April 8, 2010

Why I've committed my summer to SE101



When I was in my third year, I encountered an email outlining the details of a great opportunity. Interested in an opportunity to travel half way around the world to Africa and use your skills to teach others in need of business plan development? I was hesitant to answer this question because I had many excuses. I did not have enough time for this. I do not think this is right for me. I do not want to spend my summer away from home. These hesitant thoughts deleted the message neglecting a great opportunity.


Upon revisiting the website, I learned that wonderful things were done upon such a brief period of time. Smiles were everywhere as I saw the SE101 2009 team dedicating their time to help others. Judging from the smiles from all the photos, the participants were indeed forever indebted and grateful for their presence. Also, the participants in this program gave rave reviews about how they learned so much from their teachers from afar. I saw the African students along with our students hand in hand having the time of their lives. These smiles had an impression on me that I too can make a difference. The smiles from the participants who just barely know you, so real, in a capsulated moment in time really drew me back to this program. I wanted to make a difference. I did not want to leave the Sauder School of Business with only an education, but I wanted to leave a mark, to help others who did not have an opportunity as I did. That is why I chose to dedicate my time to this program.


Now in my fourth year, once again the SE101 email came. This time, I did not let this opportunity get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment