Thursday, August 19, 2010

This is not kwaheri!

It is hard to believe that our teaching time is over with only one day left to cram as much as possible into the heads of our students at the celebration ceremony.
I thought about it a lot this morning on our way to school in our experienced little “private matatu” and felt nostalgic. Kirby asked us the other day what are we going to miss the most when we go back home. Where do I start my list?

I am going to miss the morning bumpy ride to school watching the people outside on their way to work avoiding the crazy traffic. Traffic, where green and red almost make no difference. I am going to miss passing that crooked sign that looks like Gaudi’s creation which proudly says: “Ministry of Roads.” I am going to miss the laughter on the bus where we are discussing the day’s plan, guessing who is going to be in class on time (if anyone) and telling Nancy and Kirby the highlights of the previous day.

I am going to miss our team. Jacky’s breakfast ritual of Wheetabix and 5 eggs, together with his inseparable “twin” Eon with whom he shares not only a room but also singing passion for the Swahili song Yodi Yodi (or something in that manner), and their third brother – the camera. Lisa, our little monkey, who is always ready to climb a tree or a water tower (with me). The petite Rimple, who can be so loud that we all wonder where the voice came from. Barry, whose waiting periods playing Chinese chess and Civilization on his iPod never stopped amazing me but then you have to realize something we were reminded of quite often: This is Africa (and the waiting periods can be long). Of course, I have to mention his amazing skill to learn Swahili, he is definitely the most advanced learner in our group. I am going to miss Eric, especially, when he is copying the dance moves of our fellow Strathmore students – please, ask him to perform the moves for you, it is an unforgettable experience. I am going to miss Kathy, my dear roommate whom I can completely rely on, with the strangest hobby of taking pictures of bugs and incredible skill of mimicking different voices from the YouTube videos. I am going to miss Nancy and Kirby, our project leaders, always ready to give us advice and guard us so we do not do anything silly as we are quite a lively and loud team. I am not going to miss Les (no worries Les, that time will surely come) as I will spend almost two more weeks in the company of this crazy “pink hat wearing, never stop talking” guy on our awesome Skate4Kenya trip from Nairobi to Mombasa.

I am going to miss our class students. Pato, with his colorful and original outfits who tells me at 2 pm:“I cannot work anymore, I am too saturated.” John, who comes to class always happy, playing music and moving around dancing and jumping, never standing still. I am going to miss Daniel, who is always the first one in class, sometimes posing philosophical questions to the others. I am going to miss Frederick and Allan, the inseparable mischiefs, always hanging out together and looking up to each other for approval when they speak. I am going to miss Hillary, the shy but extremely smart and determined kid. And I cannot forget Winnie and Ivy, the two girls in the class who are not afraid to compete with boys and are most determined to open and expand their businesses. Winnie is already running her small business and Ivy rather missed the fun games and stuck with her cashflows! But, even though I am going to miss them all, there is always that hope of coming back to Kenya and eating in John’s CafĂ©, buying groceries from Winnie, have my hair done in Ivy’s beauty salon, use fast speed internet in Pato’s CyberCity and visit our two classique barbers, Allan and Fredrick.

When talking about students, I am going to miss our class’ Strathmore co-teaching team. Jasan, who shares my love of Shakespeare. John, who always has the biggest smile on his face and you never know what he is up to. Richard and Dominic, the serious ones, always looking smart and presentable (well, they are accountants, after all).

And last but not least, I can speak for the whole team that we are all going to miss Fred and Valentine, our dear friends and Kenyan guardian angels with their big smiles, always ready to show us the cool places in Nairobi, like go to see Kenyan football game (yes, it is football, not soccer!), visit local restaurants with lots of delicious goat meat or take us dancing. The two of them are the best example of how beautiful and welcoming Kenya is and why we all want to come back. But then again, I am fortunate enough to spend few more days with them on our Skate4Kenya trip.

I am going to miss much much more but there is nothing to regret, nothing to be sorry for and the only thing I can say is: Asante sana Kenya!

4 comments:

  1. Martina you still amaze me with how good you are in both your technical and analytical skills. You, Barry and Lisa made us understand our business idea in depth right through the cover page to the future plans....am pretty sure the ripple effect will make our peoples life much better... Mates, You are Legends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post Martina. Hard to say "kwaheri" when there is so much that will continue, but it's also sad when we leave. So much to do...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Martina, this is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks soooooooooooo much martina it was so cool meeting u all n all u shared with us it was funny n enjoyable n styms hard esp when we tried to teach u swahili which i can say that u r not a good student i learning swahili compared to lisa n barry all in all the programme was good oh did i tell u that your outfit on the last day was superb better late than never.Since u told us that u have watched the lion king movie,do you think that the wonderful phrase that timon n pumba use is true that in africa(kenya) 'hakuna matata'?as u leave this place know that we will always pray 4 u all that u may all be successful in all that u do n for what u r trying to give to all which makes us appreciate human value n instead of being egocentric we live in this world thinking about other persons for it's through the caring n being concerned about one another we r going to make this world a better place n also as Simba tell Kiara that we are all one in that beautiful song.
    thanks again may God bless u.take care hope we will meet you all in the next programme miss u big.
    john(smiler)

    ReplyDelete