Sunday, August 7, 2011

The first week … meet the Kibera students

When I enter the classroom for the first time, there is always so much expectation and excitement. How many students are going to show up? What will be the dynamics in the class? Are they going to be lively? Will they show up the next day (if they do not, I cannot help myself but wonder whether we have done a good job)?

But then a week passes by and I suddenly find myself attached to all of my students. I know their names and nicknames; I know that they are all extremely smart and courageous to be willing to start their own business at such a young age (student age range is 18 – 25). I know who is the class comedian (Edwin), who is the mathematician (Dennis – he also runs his own business already) and who is the cool DJ kid (Mich). I watch the girls in the class: Sellah, Gertrude, Catherine and Eunice argue their point with the boys and firmly stand their ground. There is also more serious David and Aloys, a very boyish looking Nazri (his real name is Stephen and he wants to be a stand-up comedian), quieter Michael and Felix. And I can not forget Augustine and Josphat who always manage to surprise me with their bright insights and comments.

There are some things that will never change. Their unconditional love for sweets and games. The creative excuses why they did not do their homework. The dancing and lively chatter during the tea break. And their wide smiles. But what I love the most about being in class is, that it is not only about teaching.

It is also about getting to know my students. Last Friday I learnt so much about their active community. Number of them are members and volunteers with the Foundation of Hope (the Foundation operates from the site where we teach). They write their own poetry and plays and then choreograph them. They dance and act and have an all day festival next week and I cannot wait to see them perform. If what they can do in the class is just a taste of it, it should be a world class show.

No comments:

Post a Comment