Saturday, August 13, 2011

How the "Kenyan time" made my day

I cannot believe that we have completed 2 weeks of our teaching already. The time goes by so fast and I think even the weather is crying that we are almost done as it has been pouring down with rain since the late afternoon.

Most of the UBC team has gone to a very well deserved safari trip to Masai Mara. Professor Nancy and I stayed behind to help run the workshop for Agano with Kenya, another very interesting project in Nairobi run by Jene Meece from US and Father Henry Simaro from Kenya.

But one thing that I was looking forward to the most was this afternoon and the dance performance of our students at the part of Nairobi named California or Calif as the locals call it. The show was supossed to start at 12.30 pm but things took the usual course and the start of the event was delayed. And I have to say, lucky me. Getting from one part of Nairobi to another took us over an hour and I would have not seen our students perform if the famous "Kenya time" did not exist. When I arrived students seemed to be a bit surprised but also pleased that I kept my promise to come.


The dance crew consisted of 10 people from the Foundation of Hope and not all of them are in our class (even though some of them were meant to be but never showed up which makes me a bit sad as they seem as lovely and bright individuals).
They were the first ones to perform, excited and ready to show their talent. Mich played the drums, Michael took the responsibility of video recording and Augustine enjoyed himself on the stage.

At the beginning, I took my camera out and intended to take lots of pictures but after few minutes I felt that I would miss a lot if I did not just watch. Their traditional dance was vibrant and lively and I enjoyed every minute of it. After the dance, everyone surrounded Michael to see how they have done. It was interesting to watch the facial expressions as they commented on their performance. I thought they were amazing and cannot wait to see another show - I just might ask them to do a little replay during the tea time at school. Well, they all deserved a little bonus and I think they enjoyed the baked fish for late lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment