Monday, August 15, 2011

The Kenyan Medical Experience/The World's Worst Tooth

For my first post in Africa, I have decided to relay a slightly different experience which, unfortunately, occupied my entire first week in Nairobi.

Some may know of my upper left molar which developed an abscess a year ago and cause me to have to fly by helicopter from Mount Everest Base Camp to Kathmandu. Well wouldn't you know it, the next time that the silly thing gave me trouble was the Sunday prior to the start of class in Kibera. I woke up with it aching a little but by the afternoon I was munching over-the-counter codeine at a pretty good clip. By midway through Monday, after introductions and some preliminary exercises in the classroom, I was also experiencing a pretty severe adverse reaction to an anti-inflammatory I was also taking and realized that I needed to get some help. One of our drivers, Fred, arranged for me to be taken to the nearest medical clinic which was the Aga Khan University Hospital Health Clinic in a nearby shopping center.

I was able to see the doctor right away, owing in part, I assumed, to the fact that I was a Muzungu with a Visa card. I described my symptoms, severe stomach and tooth pain. The doctor took a look in my mouth and to my dismay announced that I had gingivitis! Considering I was doubled over in pain, I did not feel as though this was the pinnacle of diagnostic achievements. Nonetheless, the doctor prescribed me an immediate IV dose of antacid for the stomach and a blood test to gauge the severity of a possible tooth infection. My trepidation at receiving injections in Africa was mitigated by the possibility of relief from the pain I was in. After receiving my injections and giving a blood sample, I laid down to rest and waited for the medications to take effect. A short while later, the doctor came in with the blood test results. Turned out the tooth infection was actually fairly serious, and had come up in the blood test. Thus, more needles! This time, some potent antibiotics. After the second round of shots was completed I was sent on my way with an array of medications to counter the infection and others to counter the side effects of the medications. All told, I paid around 50 CAD for all the services and medications, all of which will be covered by my travel medical insurance. After a few days of shivering away a fever and recuperating, I visited a dentist who took an xray and confirmed that the infection was well into submission (without any mention of gingivitis!). A few days more and I was back on my feet in the classroom teaching positive and negative cashflows.

I must admit to a slight bit of nervousness at the prospect of receiving medical treatment in Africa. I do have to say, though, that on the whole I was fairly impressed. I was seen and treated promptly, and I received thorough explanations. The conditions were relatively clean and sanitary at all times.

What struck me, however, was how much superior treatment I received than many Kenyans themselves do. I wondered if many of the people in Kibera didn't have to cope with the same sort of tooth pain I had on a regular basis. It really got me thinking.

Anyways, I suppose the moral of the story is that one can survive medical treatment in Nairobi, so feel free to come down and get sick at your leisure!

No comments:

Post a Comment