Monday, July 16, 2012

"The Trouble with Africa: Why Foreign Aid Isn't Working"


I have to say that all this foreign aid and third world development stuff is still pretty new to me. I have to admit that I wasn't as well aware of what was happening around the world until I joined Sauder Africa Initiative. Perhaps I was still young and thought I had limited abilities to help, or purely just because I didn't even know what was happening outside of where I live. When speaking about foreign aid, the first thing I do think of, however, are donations. But after reading "The Trouble with Africa: Why Foreign Aid Isn't Working," I have a different view on foreign aid.


The book is excellent for readers who want to understand more about the problems in Africa, how to help, and also a glimpse into the cultures and values of Africans. Robert Calderisi is a Canadian author, who has over thirty years of experience working with international developments, mostly in Africa and with the World Bank. The book is organized into three parts: historical influences, personal stories revolving Africa, and lastly ten recommendations on how to help Africa.

It's interesting how I always thought that any sort of foreign aid would help countries suffering poverty. I guess I was too naive to believe so. At points in the book, Calderisi makes me question if he is telling us to completely stop helping the African people. But through his personal stories, one can tell that he is truly passionate about helping. However, he does have a very different perspective than many other advocates. He argues that people like us, who are international donors, should not just be giving donations without understanding who it is going towards. We need to understand that most of the money is just going towards the government and rulers of Africa, with many being corrupted. He states that most of the African countries are still being ruled by these corrupted leaders, and therefore, we need to aid them in a a way where we aren't just be giving the people our money. Calderisi also reminds us that although the ordinary Africans are in a world of "pride, anger, poverty, and self-pity," they still possess the talents, resources, and traditions. They are such intelligent people with abilities to grow, yet they are blocked by the "so-called leaders."

After reading the book, it has triggered my thoughts on this issue. How come it seems like there are so many organizations helping developing countries, yet it seems like change is moving so slow? It seems as though nothing much as changed. Perhaps Calderisi is correct. Perhaps we are sending our money to the wrong people. Perhaps we need to rethink out ways of providing foreign aid. I'm not saying that we should not provide aid, but that we should truly understand how the money will help these people, and how the money will reach them. This is one thing that I admire about the Sauder Africa Initiative. I know that we aren't just giving out the money we fundraise, but instead, we are using the money to provide them with materials, and a place to gain knowledge - something that they can keep for a lifetime. We are investing our money into people whom we believe have the right mindset and will be able to improve their lives and their communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment