Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The Road so Far ...



 



Sheen Sagalongos, 
2nd year, Finance, Sauder School of Business, UBC

The whole experience has been pleasant so far! I’ve had the pleasure to work with wonderful people who value the same things that I care about. The coordinators, with the help of Meghan and Mostafa, have done a great job in preparing us content-wise for our trip in August. It has been overwhelming to take in a lot considering we all had other priorities to deal with, but I feel confident that we will be able to do a good job when we get to Nairobi soon!

The biggest challenge I have with SAI is fundraising. I’ve had event planning and fundraising experience before throughout my high school years in both the Philippines and in Vancouver; however, Sauder Africa Initiative is personally one of the hardest programs, organizations, or initiatives that I have (or am) fundraising for.

My previous experiences have always been easy: in the Philippines, I had a massive and broad network of contacts that consisted of mostly my big family and tight-knit community. Resources and a small amount of capital to start with were also provided for us most of the time. In Vancouver, though I didn’t have the massive network I used to have, diverse individuals from my high school were always happy to help and support my causes!

Unfortunately, the tables have turned with SAI. Although my network has considerably widened since I graduated from high school, the increased number of causes and organizations to support have made fundraising harder for me. Especially since the Sauder Africa Initiative isn’t as big and well-known as other initiatives. Additionally, since it is a student-led initiative, having a start-up capital is a luxury for us.

FS Financial Strategies’ Mission of Care program is my lifesaver. Because of their program, I’ve managed to fundraise about at least half of my pledge (and counting) to SAI. Working with their program has just been amazing as it is a win-win-win deal. FS wins because they can potentially get a new client, people I refer to FS wins because they learn about planning their finances and at the same time helping me and my cause, and of course, I win by getting a whopping $50 per referral which saves me the time and stress of planning a fundraising event. I’m very grateful to the Mission of Care program. Learn more about it at http://missionofcare.ca/

Really pumped up and excited to go there soon! Can’t wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment