Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Coming to the end...





I cannot believe that this trip is already coming to an end and that almost a month has passed. I feel like I just got off the plane yesterday and met our AMAZING drivers Fred and Val! Only two more days left...where has the time gone?

When I first arrived in Nairobi I thought that I was free of assumptions about what life would be like, however I have realized throughout this trip that there are a lot of things in my life that I take for granted. Worrying about my personal safety during the day as well as the night is a foreign concept to me. After my experience here and the discussions I have had with our Kenyan friends and students, it became apparent that security is a major issue. To be blunt, it’s exhausting. You always have to be mindful about those around you, the items that you are carrying and ensure that you are not walking when it’s dark outside. It is such a privilege to not have to worry about safety and security, and to have the freedom that goes along with it.

Teaching has been an incredible experience. I have gotten to know each and every student on a personal level and will genuinely miss the class when I leave. To be honest, it makes me sad to think about not seeing them again. It has been so rewarding to see the students grow and develop their ideas about future business ideas. Seeing the students become so excited and passionate about what they are learning has really made this course worthwhile to me.

All of this being said, it is not fair to say that we weren’t faced with frustrations as well. It was hard walking down the path to the classroom through mud and garbage; it was difficult to teach by candlelight in a pitch-black room when the power went out; it was frustrating talking over the background noise of the primary classes that blared through the tin walls.  Each day we were met with new challenges that forced us to be flexible and think on the spot. Oftentimes students were late, there were language barriers and there were students of all skill levels. However, I think that it is these challenges that made us grow as teachers and as individuals. We worked with what we had and taught a class of extremely intelligent and hardworking students. Every class was a new adventure and we most certainly never knew what to expect!

This trip has been a great balance between teaching and getting to see Kenya. I was able to try many different types of food (you can say I was a little sheltered before), visit the national museum and park, shop at the market and go on safari at the Massai Mara. I am so happy that I was able to learn more about Kenyan culture and see both rural and urban areas.

I have decided that I am an official UBC student by association - these students and Frances have really made this trip an incredible experience for me. Everyone has been so welcoming and I have gotten to know everyone so well. I am so impressed that UBC has such a great program that allows students to roll up their sleeves and do real work on the ground. It was obvious that everyone involved in the initiative has worked long and hard to make this program work, and the best part is that they are all so excited to be here! It is such a passionate group of individuals that I will keep in touch with forever. We have had great laughs, some heated moments and a time that we will never forget.

This last week has gone by so quickly with all the final planning and full days. It’s hard to believe that graduation is on Friday!

One thing I know for sure is that I will leave Kenya a different person with experiences I’ll never forget and friendships I’ll always cherish.

Now to enjoy my final two days that will fly by!

No comments:

Post a Comment