Wednesday, August 21, 2013

My Thoughts ...



Luke Wanjohi
2nd year student, Bachelor of Business Science, Finance
Strathmore University


I was on my way to finishing my end of semester examinations. I didn’t bother with what I would do with my holiday. However on receiving the e-mail to prepare to be interviewed for a potential job opportunity, I was excited. Honestly, I had no idea what I was signing up myself for.  All I knew was there was a job, based around community service. I wanted to get out of my comfort zone so I went ahead and applied.

Upon receiving the basics of what the program would entail; assistant teaching I was surprised. Teaching has never been in my roster of abilities or desires but I was eager to test my limits. I thought the program would be challenging because teaching people in the underdeveloped housing of Kibera and Mathare concepts such as SWOT analysis or Cash flow statements was not going to be easy.

I was eager to meet the team being sent from Sauder Business School. I was hoping to meet an enthusiastic and fun crew. After all, I was giving up my holiday; I might as well enjoy it. I had the same feeling before going to Kibera and Mathare. It was a feeling of excitement mixed with a small dose of nervousness.

Our first meeting for dinner went quite well. Tom and Frances gave the meeting an atmosphere of a calm and friendly nature. I knew then that I made the right decision and that these were good people to work with. I also found inspiration from the alumni members. It went to show that the program actually works so that eased my fears of failure.

Two weeks into the program I gathered that the students found it useful. I had doubts at first if we would be able to teach the course well but the curriculum and instructors guide served their purpose. The program was therefore well structured and the Pili Pili Chips illustration, in my opinion, has been well received by the students.

As for my colleagues, they each deserve commendation for the good job they have done. To start with, our leader, Meghan, has done a great job at teaching, co-ordination and generally being a figure head for me personally. She portrays herself as an intelligent woman and it’s depicted in her actions. Secondly, our ‘second in command’, Faizal has been an interesting comedy relief in class. He is patient, hardworking and it really helps that he is fun to be around. It was proof that work and play can mix. Akash and Sheen have also been great to have around. Particularly the last week I feel we got a chance to get to know each other better. Lastly my Strathmore colleague, Mercy, has been supportive through the entire period especially when I got nervous about teaching. All in all I believe we had a very effective team with qualities that complemented each other.

My experience, as an assistant lecturer, showed me how it feels to be on the other side of the classroom. Being a teacher is no easy task but I can see why some lecturers enjoy it and others find it challenging. I would definitely do it again presented with the opportunity.

The Canadian students were from what I expected. I assumed they would be such different people that interacting would be a problem. However I have found them more like me than I thought. We share the same interests in music, views of life and relationships and we share a sought of common vision for our educational futures. It has been an eye opening 3 weeks.

The program as I said earlier was effective. However it would have been better disseminated with more time. Furthermore more cases related to the current situation in Kenya and Africa can be useful. All in all I feel satisfied that the students have grasped skills they will use to mould their educational future. On that note, we as lectures, intend to have a follow up meet with the students once a month. However I would have them contact us if any question arises through social media or my phone. Unplanned meetings can also be arranged with the student’s request.


No comments:

Post a Comment