Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pre-Trip Reflections








Jorline Ou,
4th year, Accounting and Marketing,
Sauder School of Business, UBC

When my friend told me to apply for Sauder Africa Initiative, I grabbed the opportunity by its hair. It was something that I wanted to do for a very long time. My only hesitancy was that I wasn’t sure how big an impact I can make. I wasn’t sure whether or not I had what it took to help the Kenyans, to help the impoverished. I’ve done research on poverty and third-world countries before, but poverty has always seemed like a complicated issue that even the brightest minds can’t quite fix. The solution seemed untouchable, so what could a team of students do?

We all have to start somewhere, and Sauder Africa Initiative gave me that chance to handle the issue first hand. Instead of reading about developing countries, it gave me the chance to DO something. We got the opportunity to listen to and speak with knowledgeable people, including a representative from the Lundin Foundation. These speakers gave us great insight to a problem our whole team was about to face in person.

When a team faces a problem together, it gives the team a sense of purpose, which is the best motivator for action. With Sauder Africa Initiative, even in the pre-trip portion of the program, it has allowed me to define my role in a team setting. It has also challenged my ideas about leadership. It allowed me to appreciate my accomplishments as well as others. I wanted to be there for every team member, because in the end, we all have one cohesive goal.

Teamwork is always complicated, and there is always a conflict or an issue, even between the smartest people. It’s simply because people are very different and have different perspectives. For Sauder Africa Initiative, the purpose of the program naturally brings together passionate people with a specific set of social ideals. By taking the time to learn about each team member, you find things that challenge your thoughts, and things that you can challenge them. As time went on, you can see the team becoming more comfortable with one another, and the roles of each individual on the team forming. Everyone had a purpose, a responsibility, a share of the vision for Sauder Africa Initiative.

I have always believed I’m an adaptable person, but these people have continued to teach me to be flexible, adapt, and expect the unexpected. This trip is going to continue to test me, in ways that will affect my personal, professional, and academic growth. The best tests are the ones that you can never imagine. I welcome it, and I’m excited to cease every experience of this program as a potential opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment