Monday, August 19, 2013

What did a Strathmore student think? Read Sheila's story ...



Sheila Kibanyu
3rd year student, University of Nairobi and
Strathmore University, Nairobi, Kenya


My name is Sheila Kibanyu and I am a third year university student living in Nairobi Kenya. I am studying mathematics at the University of Nairobi and doing my accounting courses at Strathmore. I joined the SAI team this year because I enjoy doing charity work and do volunteer quite a bit especially when on holiday. I am volunteering in Kibera for the month of August.

At the beginning I was a bit apprehensive as I did not know how the program worked since this was a new venture but so far so good and I am really enjoying the experience. (I like a good challenge!).  I was also eager to meet the Sauder team and start the program and soon after meeting the team here is what I found out about some of them:

I was amazed to realize Tracy could not multitask while eating i.e. eat and chat;
Meghan's idea to bring the leftover chocolate from the fundraising sales was very touching. It showed that she cared despite not having met most of us;
Faizal (aka princess) is very funny;
Jorline has great examples when it comes to explaining a concept despite the class complaints of her accent when she is teaching;
Mustafa is a leader especially when it comes to in-class activities;
Amy is very supportive and she is liked for her caring nature; and
Asha is kind and authoritative but for some reason the students do not come for additional tea when she is serving!

At the first dinner all of the Sauder team members had not yet arrived so it was a pleasure to meet the rest of the team at the second dinner. We were very fortunate to have Strathmore’s dean conduct a presentation on Kenya. It was the best! I learned so much.

By the second week I knew more about the program. The teachers and most students, despite the challenge of being ill the last days of the week, were continuing with their work. Our Canadian colleagues did as well as they could despite the challenges they faced trying to get their message across to some of the students. They are faring well in the new setting.

Our Kibera students are really varied but their ideas make me proud to be a Kenyan. Some of the ideas they have are very innovative and life changing.  I would definitely do it again. The look of satisfaction on their faces once they understand a concept is gratifying and the brotherhood they share, especially when it comes to explaining a point to another member who is confused, is especially touching. Frankly speaking I did not know what to expect, but the Kibera students did not disappoint. One thing that did surprise me was that these students have families when they are so young and I think this situation shows how societies define people.

The Kibera classroom setting, however, is odd. We are divided into two classes and one has more teachers while the other has fewer when it could do with more. The Kibera venue is also very noisy and in the beginning the students found it hard to concentrate with children playing outside. If I was to change something about this setting I would suggest moving the teachers around between the two classes so that the students could experience varied teaching methods while exposing the teachers to all students.
In regards to what I will do in the future, I plan to analyze the Kibera students’ progress after their graduation in August. I will assess if people with existing businesses have improved their understanding of business and to see if students with new ideas have actualized them and in what manner. I also plan to help where I can to ensure the students become entrepreneurs e.g. providing my contact details for further clarification and giving them proper advice and encouragement where necessary.

In summary, I have a few final thoughts:

The program is amazing and a great way to help the disadvantaged people in our society to be self sustaining;
I would volunteer again to take part in this program;
I hate wearing gumboots because of such a small muddy area where we have to walk to get to our classroom; and
I learned a lot about social entrepreneurship as opposed to entrepreneurship.

No comments:

Post a Comment