Sunday, July 30, 2006

It's Happening!~

So, we are all here on schedule and safely!

Tomorrow is our big day as our project starts. So far, we met with a couple students from the University of Nairobi and had some interesting exchanges. One of the students pointed out to me the beggars on the streets to tell me that "He is a beggar". I told her that we have beggars in Vancouver too, but she was so surprised, "You have beggars? But you are so rich in the West!"
The girl then asked me if I go to Church as she pointed out the Opus Dei Church for me (quite the time to point this out as I am halfway through Da Vinci Code), and she was shocked when I told her I am not religious.

Well, fortunately, McDonald's and Starbucks haven't made it here yet, but Coca Cola is almost the fountain of life here. But I cannot believe how Americanized the supermakets are. They sell anything from Oreos to Kit Kat to Parklane to... basically ANYTHING. Globalization eh? Well, the Dubai International Airport is totally Americanized too with Krispy Creme and Baskin Robbins and what's more. It's really crazy. I am actually seeing what's happening in my textbooks first hand in Middle East and East Africa. I guess this is also an academic experience to make me feel slightly better about my International Relations Bachelor of Arts degree.

We visited the slum where we will be teaching, and it is quite a special feeling that everything suddenly becomes so close and real. People are really nice here but it is just different. The gap between poverty and the wealthy is so huge. At least beggars in Vancouver Downtown dresses warmly with a dog as companion. I actually do have a lot more to say, but internet is really quite the luxury here and we'll try to update again soon.

On a side note, I think our team is crazy. Eiston is studying for GRE, Kathy is studying for LSAT, and Brit is studying for CSC. Guess what I'm doing? Finishing off Da Vinci Code :p


Posted by Josephine Wong

1 comment:

  1. As opposed to being "crazy", our team just seeks maximum efficiency in whatever endeavors we are pursuing and passionate about. More along the lines of crazy are the students showcased in the book "THE RUNNING OF THE BULLS - inside the cutthroat race from wharton to wall street" by Nicole Ridgway. A recommended read for my friends in uni who are pursuing careers in highly demanding fields.

    ReplyDelete