Monday, July 17, 2006

See You in Kenya

So. We just had our final team meeting tonight before we all take off on our flights that are coming up in a couple of days.

When I left Kathy's house and Brit said to me, "See you in Kenya!" I felt slightly overwhelmed. I cannot believe that this is actually happening - surreal. I love our team and we are all such hardworking people, but I feel like there are so many loose ends that we have not tied up within our group in the "social" context: we are saying "bye" already before I actually felt like I ever said "hi" to all of them. Everything just happened too quickly and intensively for me to think about our team and friendships too much.

We spent hundreds (quite fair to say, I think) of hours working on our workshops and resource booklets to make it more applicable to the youths in Kibera - that suddenly when I am trying to write my final paper for Poli Sci that is due in 3 days, I find it difficult and had to search around my head for the right vocabulary and right ideas. It is almost as if I am speaking a different language, yet it is still English.

Countdown: 3 days until final paper due, 3 days until final exam, 9 days until my flight.


Posted by Josephine Wong

No comments:

Post a Comment